Playful, Pius or Remembered Stuff

Hang out with the old preacher by browsing my blogs.



Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year!

The calendar has turned another leaf, and the fireworks have died down. There is a tradition of making resolutions for the new year, which is a bit silly from my point of view. But if it reveals the fact that men know they are in need of change, there is hope that some may even repent. If a course of action is worth resolving on New Years Day, then it is worth resolving any time of year. It only gives the lie to our determination (or lack thereof) when we wait for the new year to make that resolution. My wife remembers a high school friend who, with her broken leg in a cast, resolved to give up dancing for lent. But that's another story.

I know that when I stepped on the scale at my doctor's office, and discovered that I weighed more than I have at any other time in my life, something in my head snapped. I said, "Okay, that's it!" That's when my doctor recommended this diet of "Optifast" that I am currently enduring. When I resolved to enter a liquid diet for 20 weeks, I was committed from the day I stepped on my doctor's scale. Never mind that Christmas was coming. To me this resolution was worth making come luau, banquet, party or cruise. (Actually, I think it might be a tad too much to ask if there had been a cruise on schedule.)

The year is 2010, and we are contemplating dramatic transition for our lives. We are scheduled to move January 30, and I will still be on this stupid diet. Yes, we will treat the people who help us move with pizza. I will buy it and smell it, but by the grace of God, I will not eat it. Actually I am beginning to wonder why we agreed to this move. Oh yeah, we can't do the stairs much more, and we had to sift through our treasures before we die and leave the chore for our kids. The joke is that we are moving our treasures (junk) to the new house, and our kids will still have to comb through these remnants of our lives after we are gone anyway. I guess the volume will have been slightly reduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment