Playful, Pius or Remembered Stuff

Hang out with the old preacher by browsing my blogs.



Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Moving Saga: the guilt

Yes, there is guilt associated with moving--at least in my case there is. When we have no less than three storage units and find they cannot contain all of our worldly possessions, then I realize just how "worldly" are those possessions. Both my wife and I are savers. Actually it is a trait born of a variety of frugality. When we see something we haven't used in the last 15 years, instead of tossing it we say to ourselves, "This still works and it might come in handy some day. It would be wrong to throw it away. 'Waste not want not.' That sweater has no holes, and though it is dingy with age, it used to be a favorite of mine, and it would be wasteful to throw it away." Okay, we have given a lot of stuff to Goodwill or some other charity. We just have so much more that we saved.

I thought I believed in contentment with less. I remember days of poverty when one never gives away useful things. I was raised with depression mentality. The bible says to be content with what we have. Jesus taught us to seek primarily the Kingdom of God, and He would provide all the necessities of life.

Only half in jest do I tell my friends that our move was a biblical one. We have said to ourselves, "We have much goods and no place to store them. Let's tear down our barns and build larger ones. Then we can say to ourselves, 'Soul, you have much goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat drink and be merry." Well it is biblical, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment